December 2017: This month in Edinburgh, the GDSA joined hundreds of delegates from across the world at the World Forum on Natural Capital to discuss and build momentum towards the incorporation of natural capital into business decision-making. While GDSA representatives attended the last forum as well, this year's attendance was different as the GDSA worked to not only increase participation from the African continent but also to ensure that various panels and plenary sessions had GDSA input as well. More specifically, the GDSA was involved as follows:
- We worked to increase participation from the African continent, with representatives from four member GDSA countries attending the conference.
- Our Executive Secretary spoke in the opening and closing plenaries as a 'stream lead' on green economies.
- Our Technical Director spoke on two separate panels about innovative financing mechanisms for conservation as well as on policy frameworks for mainstreaming natural capital.
- The GDSA was one of several institutions to facilitate a government dialogue, which was co-hosted by the Scottish and Dutch Governments.
- And finally, the GDSA was one of 25 signatories on the Natural Capital Coalition-led Combining Forces on Natural Capital statement (download the statement here).